Friday, October 3, 2008

Church anxiety

So, we've been going to our new church for a few months now and everyone seems so nice and there are several kids for me to play with and a super cool play area and very cool blocks and toys and lots of nice people and pretty windows and nice paintings on the walls and nice music and ... can you tell I'm avoiding something? Well, I have this little problem: I'm not so crazy about going in the nursery on my own.

The first few times I as just a wreck: crying & clinging, then screaming & clinging. I felt pretty silly for making such a scene, but it was pretty scary stuff. Of course once I got over the initial separation I had a really good time playing and learning. After a few visits I progressed to doing all that freaking out before we left home and mommy thought we'd have a really terrible time getting me into my class then, but apparently I got much of my anxiety out before we got out of the car, so that meant I didn't cry as much at church, but I sure did have the
I'm-trying-to-be-brave-but-this-is-really-scary look on my face (complete with very sad chin-quivering).

Today I didn't do any crying, but I spent much of the morning at home very quietly hiding under my blanket reassuring myself that I would have lots of fun playing with all my new friends. So I guess I'm making progress, but it really is tough to go out on one's own at first.

Of course mom always comes back to get me and we both enjoy a very big hug and then I show her all the fun stuff I've been doing while she was singing or learning or studying. ...For the record Elliot has never cried once at being left in nursery...but then again he's not to that age yet. We are hoping he has an easier time than I do.

~Gavin

No comments:

Post a Comment